Daughtery, Katz, Nelson, & DavisThough Harry Daughtery organized the ten to twelve piece Wichita Falls Concert Band in 1888 when the town was still in its infancy, the initial vestiges of an actual orchestra in Wichita Falls date to 1915, when Vienna transplant Ernest Katz established a group of thirty musicians who performed at Everton Music Hall. It was not until 1921, though, that Katz was able to organize the first full-fledged orchestra in Wichita Falls. The orchestra was comprised of 65 musicians, most of whom performed for a living at local moving picture houses. Concerts were held at the Wichita Falls Opera House until 1923, at which time the orchestra disbanded. It was later reassembled under Eitel Allen Nelson, a Paris native, in 1929. Nelson’s iteration of the orchestra performed at Memorial Auditorium for five years until the Great Depression forced it to cease operation. In 1940, Arthur Davis, a violin student of Nelson’s, revived the orchestra for a short time before it too shut down in the spring of 1942 when several of the musicians who were active Sheppard Air Force Base personnel were called to duty at the beginning of World War II.